Customers on a Microsoft 365 licences on the rare occasion will reach the 50GB storage limit. Fortunately there is another 50GB available in the online archive. If this is still not enough, then the E3 licence has 100GB mailbox with an unlimited online archive.
Below are instructions on how to free up space using the mailbox archive feature.
How to turn on the mailbox archiving
We are using the Default 2 year move to archive retention tag - no changes required here unless we wanted to change the 2 years to something else.
- Go to Exchange admin center
- Select mailbox that you want to to use mailbox archiving
- Take note of mailbox usage, in Robert's case we are at 88.7% used.
- Go to Others tab > Manage mailbox archive
- Turn on Mailbox archive
- Optional: to speed up the archiving using Powershell Exchange module, run these commands to force the archive to start. Otherwise it will take up to 7 days.
Connect-ExchangeOnline -UserPrincipalName GLOBAL_ADMIN_USERNAME
30 minutes later in the Exchange admin center we can see the the mailbox usage is reducing 🎉