After clicking on the video attachment in a gmail message, expecting it to play, instead this error appears, "Whoops! There was a problem while playing this video".
I've had five customers report this issue where they can't play video attachments in gmail. I rarely receive emails with video attachments, normally they're Google Photos or YouTube links. But I can imagine it would be annoying if I regularly received videos via email attachment. I would want a single click to view the video.
Affected: Gmail on Computers. I've replicated the issue in Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
- Gmail on Android, iPhone and iPad.
- Thunderbird and other desktop email clients on computers.
- Consuming videos on social media, iCloud, Google Photos and YouTube.
Workaround in Chrome on a computer
This is the best workaround while still using gmail.com to reduces the number of clicks to play a video attachment. Personally, I think this bug is worth putting up with for all the other conveniences, integration with Docs and security the gmail.com interface provides.
- Do this once (for each file type) after clicking Download.
- Click down arrow menu next to the downloaded file
- Enable "Always Open Files Of This Type".
- Next time you get an email with video attachment of the same type, click the Download button to have it download and open automatically in your preferred desktop video player.
How do I undo the Workaround in Chrome?
- Google Chrome menu Settings
- Scroll down and click Advanced
Clear the option Open certain file types automatically after downloading
Are there any other options?
Firefox users can do the workaround too by changing what Firefox does when you click on or download a file.
Send feedback to Google
You might want to report the bug to Google via the Gmail Menu > send feedback, as pictured below. I have sent Google feedback to add voice to the issue.