This is an improved version of Oracle's official instructions.
This article applies to:
- Platform(s): Macintosh OS X
- Java version(s): 7.0, 8.0
Uninstall Oracle Java using the Terminal
Note: To uninstall Java, you must have Administrator privileges and execute the remove command either as root or by using the
Remove one directory and one file (a symlink), as follows:
- Click on the Finder icon located in your dock
- Click on the Utilities folder
- Double-click on the Terminal icon
- In the Terminal window Copy and Paste the commands below:
sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane
sudo rm -fr ~/Library/Application\ Support/Java
sudo rm -fr /Library/LaunchAgents/com.oracle.java.*
sudo rm -fr /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.oracle.java.*
rm -fr ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.oracle.java.*
Do not attempt to uninstall Java by removing the Java tools from
/usr/bin. This directory is part of the system software and any changes will be reset by Apple the next time you perform an update of the OS.
Please sign in to leave a comment.